Re: i386 floppy status

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> What I don't understand is why this would only affect the floppy image.
> Netboot and cdrom also use syslinux variants to load the same upxd
> kernel image, and it works there.

Looking at a build log for netboot, we don't pack the kernel there. We
only do that for the arch_boot target, which is only used for the boot
floppy.

I've mailed the issue to lkml: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/7/10/9.

My guess is that the verdict will be that upx will just have to be taught
about the changed kernel format and to not mangle the "compressed
payload".
Which probably effectively means no floppy images for i386 for Lenny.

Especially as I found that with the "current" kernel config the kernel
will again be too big with 2.6.26, so if .26 really is going to be the
kernel for Lenny that would be the next issue to solve. If not, we can
maybe work out a solution with the kernel team.

Note that using some of the config changes suggested by Bastian some time
back, I could make things fit again.

Cheers,
FJP