Re: i386 floppy status

On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 05 July 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Holger Wansing wrote:
> > > I tested this file on my good old i486 machine with floppy drive.
> > > Result:

> > > 	Probing EDD (edd=off to disable) ... ok
> > >
> > > Then the machine reboots.
> >
> > This has something to do with upx. Replacing the kernel with a
> > non-UPXed version avoids the triple-fault. Of course, it also avoids
> > fitting the initrd on the floppy.
>
> I can create working images based on the pure upstream 2.6.25.9 (on
> which current Debian 2.6.25-6 images are based) using the same config
> and gcc-4.1, so the current hypothesis is that this must be due to a
> Debian specific patch or change in the kernel build system.

Confirmed. Turns out this is related to the XEN patches that are included
in Debian's 2.6.25 kernel (and have been accepted upstream for 2.6.26).

I have compiled and successfully booted a 486 kernel from the Debian
source package with the following patches [1] disabled:
#+ features/all/xen-elf-fromat-crompessed-images.patch
#+ features/all/xen-image-header.patch
#+ features/all/xen-crc32-checksum-kernel-image.patch
#+ features/all/xen-boot-protocol.patch
#+ features/all/xen-module-autoloading.patch

I mainly suspect the first of that set, but have not confirmed that. I'll
try to narrow it down to a specific patch by bisecting the patch series
using upstream 2.6.26.

Let me know if anyone wants the working deb and/or the kernel udebs built
from it.

Cheers,
FJP

[1]http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/dists/sid/linux-2.6/debian/patches/features/all/?rev=0&sc=0