Re: Extending flash-kernel to support KuroBox Pro

(No need to CC me, I read the list.)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Per Andersson <avtobiff@gmail.com> [2008-06-09 08:50]:
>> +     # KuroBox Pro
>> +     "MV-88fxx81")
>
> This is what the default kernel in the Kurobox Pro uses, but the
> mainline kernel from kernel.org (and hence the Debian kernel) will use
> something different.  The script has to work with the Debian kernel,
> not with the original kernel (which we will replace).
>
> The string is: Buffalo/Revogear Kurobox Pro

Changed to the correct string.

>> +             cat $kfile >> $tmp
>> +             mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 \
>> +                     -e 0x00008000 -n "$desc" -d $tmp $tmp.uboot >&2 1>/dev/null
>
> You have to check what address the Kurobox actually uses.  When you
> connect the serial console and load the default kernel, you'll see the
> values.

>From what I can see the addresses used by default are
0x00100000, changed to this.

>> +             echo "done." >&2
>> +             printf "Flashing kernel... " >&2
>> +             cat $tmp.uboot > $kmtd || error "failed."
>> +             echo "done." >&2
>> +             rm -f $tmp.uboot $tmp
>> +     ;;
>
> So you flash the kernel but not the ramdisk.  You'll also have to
> figure out how the ramdisk should be written to flash (in particular,
> in which format).  See the previous mail I sent you about this.

Since it worked with the debian installer ramdisk, I suspect that
the cpio format will do. The kuropro doesn't use ramdisk by
default. I added writing the ramdisk to flash, in the same manner
it is done for the QNAP, to the patch.

Patch attached, please review.

-- Per