Re: USB CD boot and autoinstall (preseeding)

Hi,

I think I have a bug here. I have found a workaround though. See below.

Alexandre Conrad wrote:
LABEL ks
  menu label ^Auto-install (preseed)
  kernel /install/vmlinuz
append locale=en_US console-setup/layoutcode=fr console-setup/variantcode=oss_latin9 file=/cdrom/preseed/mediaplayer.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz

I finally have set the following to have my USB CD found after the xubuntu install splash screen (right after the BIOS):

"""
append locale=en_US console-setup/layoutcode=fr console-setup/variantcode=oss_latin9 cdrom-detect/load_floppy?=false cdrom-detect/manual_config=true cdrom-detect/cdrom_module=none cdrom-detect/cdrom_device=/dev/scd0 file=/cdrom/preseed/mediaplayer.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz
"""

Note the "load_floppy" has a ?=false value. Which means we're setting the default to false but still keep the user interaction. This is because when "cdrom-detect/load_floppy=false" is set, it turns out it doesn't detect the CD drive. If I put some latency (user interaction), it works. Also, if I press "false" really fast (human reflexe timing), I get the error as well. If I take my time and wait a second or so, the CD is found no problem and the media starts being scanned.

This is very odd. But it seems that the "cdrom module" or whatever loads to get the USB CD to work doesn't have enough time to be loaded and the detection fails. If the detection fails, I press continue, and I retry CDROM detection, it works just fine.

So this doesn't make a *fully* automatic install. Has anyone experienced this before?

Regards,
--
Alexandre CONRAD