Re: Please consider adding an option to install dash as /bin/sh in expert mode for beta2

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>> Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> writes:

>>> The policy around expert mode is that it should not change the
>>> installation behaviour in itself.  Answering default to extra questions
>>> in expert mode should result in the same installation as normal ones.
>>>
>>> As dash already as a debconf questions, the implementation of such
>>> behaviour is pretty straightforward: d-i should install dash.
>>>
>>> If dash is promoted as part of the base system, it will be installed
>>> without any changes from the d-i team.  The other candidate that would
>>> trigger such installation that I can think of is the "standard" task of
>>> tasksel.
>>>
>>> I think I would object any implementation that would require more
>>> specific changes in d-i itself.
>>
>> I fully agree. That isn't d-i business; if dash needs/should be
>> installed it needs to be done changing Debian base, not using d-i.
>>

> Thanks for replying.
>
> As Luk Claes stated on a message to -devel-announce: the dash as /bin/sh
> switch won't be done for lenny.
> So my proposal was to add an extra page offering to install dash, probably
> defaulting to no, as lenny should be 'dash-safe', i.e. no bashisms in stuff
> interpreted by sh, and I really don't want to lose the momentum, with the
> plus of letting people install dash at install time (which could help
> spotting issues not yet detected, so lenny+1 is even safer).

It's pretty easy to anyone to an aptitude or apt-get call after
installing the system. If someone knows about dash, and their
differences against bash, we can suppose he/she is aware of
apt-get/aptitude and how to make it.

I think it's nice to do a call for testing, and -devel-announce is a
good place for that; this would cause the same effect, catching the
issues not yet detected.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116