Re: Please consider adding an option to install dash as /bin/sh in expert mode for beta2

Otavio Salvador wrote:

> Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:11:25PM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to add an extra page to d-i in expert mode to
>>> install dash and configure it as the default /bin/sh?
>>> dash uses a debconf prompt to install itself as sh, so there's no big
>>> stuff that needs to be done.
>>
>> The policy around expert mode is that it should not change the
>> installation behaviour in itself.  Answering default to extra questions
>> in expert mode should result in the same installation as normal ones.
>>
>> As dash already as a debconf questions, the implementation of such
>> behaviour is pretty straightforward: d-i should install dash.
>>
>> If dash is promoted as part of the base system, it will be installed
>> without any changes from the d-i team.  The other candidate that would
>> trigger such installation that I can think of is the "standard" task of
>> tasksel.
>>
>> I think I would object any implementation that would require more
>> specific changes in d-i itself.
>
> I fully agree. That isn't d-i business; if dash needs/should be
> installed it needs to be done changing Debian base, not using d-i.

Thanks for replying.

As Luk Claes stated on a message to -devel-announce: the dash as /bin/sh
switch won't be done for lenny.
So my proposal was to add an extra page offering to install dash, probably
defaulting to no, as lenny should be 'dash-safe', i.e. no bashisms in stuff
interpreted by sh, and I really don't want to lose the momentum, with the
plus of letting people install dash at install time (which could help
spotting issues not yet detected, so lenny+1 is even safer).

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.