Re: Skip kbd-chooser when running under Xen

Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:56 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>> On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>> > So let me raise the issue again (and risk some bikeshed effect):
>> >  * Does kbd-chooser make any sense under Xen?  (I guess not.)
>>
>> That's completely up to you (plural).
>
> I don't think it's necessary to special case kbd-chooser for Xen. I
> think the issue was down to the 2.6.18 kernel Ferenc was using since I
> never saw the it with 2.6.25 based stuff but I did previously see it
> with 2.6.18 when I first played with d-i+xen (ages and ages ago).

Yes, the error seems gone for 2.6.25.  However, the extra question
remained.

>>>  * Would a simple [ -d /sys/bus/xen ] check do?
>>
>> I guess that would be OK. Unless a different test could also catch other
>> virtualized environments.
>
> So far I haven't found a need for any Xen specific checks when I've been
> working through this stuff (other than obvious things like supporting
> xvd devices) and I'd really like to avoid adding any if at all possible.

Yes, testing for functionality would be much better.  Like skipping
kbd-chooser if there's no keyboard attached.  Is serial installation
handled by checking the kernel command line?

> I'm a bit stuck on getting finish-install.d/90console to create a getty
> on hvc0 without a Xen hack but I'll keep thinking...

Isn't finding console=hvc0 in /proc/cmdline enough?  So long it isn't
made the default...  I heard some controversy about this issue, but
didn't find a conclusion.
--
Regards,
Feri.