Re: Skip kbd-chooser when running under Xen

Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 11:46 +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org> writes:

>>> I vaguely remember that we passed 'console=ttyS0' to the kernel so d-i
>>> would end up doing the right thing. Could you try that - would probably
>>> be easier than skipping kbd detection?
>
> (I didn't see Guido's original mail so I'll reply here instead)
>
> I've been using console=hvc0 -- I wonder if that has the same effect as
> console=ttyS0 in terms of skipping the keymap stuff...

Just managed to check this.  No, console=hvc0 doesn't skip the keymap
question, but looks like the kernels which have hvc don't throw and
error running kbd-chooser.  At least that's the case under 2.6.25-xen,
which I tested a couple of minutes ago.

So let me raise the issue again (and risk some bikeshed effect):

 * Does kbd-chooser make any sense under Xen?  (I guess not.)

 * Should we skip running it from a virtualized D-I?  (I guess yes,
   especially that it's so simple to achieve.)

 * Would a simple [ -d /sys/bus/xen ] check do?
--
Regards,
Feri.