Re: Etch 1/2 CD images for test

(There's really no need to CC me on d-boot mail!)

On Thursday 01 May 2008, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Would it be helpful if I did an Etch install then "aptitude dist-
> upgrade" on as many Mac architectures as I can?  I don't have any non-
> Mac PowerPC machines, so I can't try the oddball kernel versions
> anyway.  Is there anybody else out there who does?

Well, this is not really the right place to ask.
But of course it is always useful to have changes tested, so I doubt anyone
involved with Etch+1/2 will object to anyone testing it.

Testing is as simple as doing an install and adding "proposed-updates" to
your sources list. After doing the dist-upgrade, you'd still have to
manually install the new kernel.

Some things to keep in mind:
- etchnhalf is mostly just an ordinary point release
- the 2.6.24 kernel that's added is _optional_ and intended mostly for those
  who have hardware that's not supported by the standard Etch kernel
- some other packages will get an update specifically to make sure Etch is
  compatible with that 2.6.24 kernel; having these tested with the
  *standard* etch kernel is IMO where the largest benefit of any testing is

See the Etch+1/2 wiki pages for further info.

Cheers,
FJP