Re: [RFC] Major issue with use of Choices-C

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:59:43AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> This indeed is a real issue.
>
> I tested this by loading the following template on a running system (so
> using debconf): […]

Using the same test material with cdebconf, I have the following
results:

> Test results:
> # LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 ./test
> # LANGUAGE=de ./test
> => Question and choices displayed in English

Same in cdebconf.

> # LC_ALL=nl_NL.UTF-8 ./test
> # LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8 ./test

Both displayed in english.

> # LANGUAGE=nl ./test
> => Question and choices displayed in Dutch

Same in cdebconf.

> # LC_ALL=C ./test
> # LANG=C ./test

Both displayed in english.

> # LANGUAGE=C ./test

Displays C choices.

> # LANG=nl ./test # invalid
> # LC_ALL=<anything invalid> ./test

Both displays english.

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 02:07:32PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> # LANG= LANGUAGE=nl LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 ../../test-debconf-C
> => Dialog is displayed in Dutch
> @langs = nl:en_us.utf-8:en_us:en.utf-8:en
>
> # LANG= LANGUAGE=en LC_ALL=nl_NL.UTF-8 ../../test-debconf-C
> => Dialog is displayed in Dutch
> @langs = en:nl_nl.utf-8:nl_nl:nl.utf-8:nl
>
> (Values for @langs are from /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm.)
>
> Why are both cases displayed in Dutch? I would have expected English for the
> second.

cdebconf displays the second case in english.

> # LANG= LANGUAGE=en LC_ALL=C ../../test-debconf-C
> => Choices-C values are displayed
> @langs = en:c

English as well for this one.

These results make me wonder if there is a real problem in cdebconf: I
doubt anyone would ever set LANGUAGE=C on a running system…

In any case, it would be good to have a common behaviour between debconf
and cdebconf.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism