[RFC] Major issue with use of Choices-C

We are switching more and more to using Choices-C to abstract the actual
choices away from the text displayed to users by using "codes" in the
Choices-C field instead of text strings.
However, there is a major problem with the current implementation of
Choices-C in cdebconf (and probably debconf as well) for that use.

The problem is that when debconf/language is set to C, cdebconf will display
the values in Choices-C instead of the values in Choices.

In D-I this currently results in "C, en" being displayed as languages for
serial console installs instead of "C, English". It does not result in
issues elsewhere because we "force" debconf/language to "en" if the C
locale is selected.

We are on the verge of making similar changes in console-data (keyboard
lists) and partman.

As I expect the same will happen if LC_all=C and LANG and debconf/language
are not explicitly set (needs verification!), the problem is not confined
to D-I.
We've somewhat been promoting the use of Choices-C in other packages. For
example, ucf already uses Choices-C for displaying the various merge
options to users (#456241).

Although the use of the C locale is somewhat rare, it should be correctly
supported and setting LANG=en should not be required.

My proposal would be to modify both cdebconf and debconf so that the last C
in Choices-C is interpreted as "Codes" and not as "C locale", and thus also
display the value of the Choices field if debconf/language is set to C.

Cheers,
FJP