Re: debian installer feature request

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> - Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:52:53 +0100

>On Sunday 30 December 2007, Michel BRIAND wrote:
>> Include the package speedtouch-ng in the netinst ISO so that we can
>> install Debian with old dsl modem ;)
>
>I cannot find any package with that name in Debian, which basically
>means that the installer team cannot do anything with this request.
>
>The first step would be to get the package into Debian. Provided it is
>free software and suitable for the main archive, we could then
>consider adding it to CD images, although you'd probably still need to
>explain how exactly just adding it to a netinst would help because
>just adding the package won't make it available for use during
>installations.
>
>Cheers,
>FJP

Hi,

sure, I forget to explain the goad and speak about the way it could be
used ;).

First : speedtouch-ng is a small package that configure the DSL link
for use with speedtouch modems. It includes a script that creates a
ppp0 interface with a debconf ui and then brings up ppp0 so that
installation can continue with an internet connection.

Speedtouch includes some firmware that are non-free. But we could find
a way to include them anyway. A special non-free netinst iso ? Or a
lobby against the manufacturer ? This modem is obsolete but a lot of
people still have it (at least in Europe).

Do you think my explanations are suffisent ?

Cheers,
Michel