Re: partman-nbd

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 07:18:17PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd been planning to do a partman-nbd for quite a while (hence the
>

> Comments about debconf templates:

Note that they're still quite likely to change, the code not remotely
being ready and all.

> First, all of them should include a line with:
>
> # :sl4:
>
> Before the "_Description" line. That will put these templates in
> sublevel 4 which is, imho, the place they belong to (maybe "sublevel
> 3" once the feature is no longer experimental).

Done

> Template: partman-nbd/text/configure_nbd
> Type: text
>
> Later, you talk about "a" Network Block Device, so for consistency,
> I'd suggest using an indefinite article there as well.

True. But there's a difference: here, we're talking about "the NBD
subsystem". Later on, we're talking about "an NBD device node". There is
only one NBD subsystem, while there are multiple NBD device nodes.

Since I managed to confuse you, clearly my texts could use some
improvement here (suggestions are, obviously, welcome); but it actually
does make sense ;-)

> A tricky question is about using capitals or "network block
> device". I'd go for the latter but I understand that capitals made
> things closer from "NBD".
>
> If a choice is made, it should be consistent all along the
> templates, of course. Again, I have a small preference for normal
> writing and no capitals. Maybe, at some key points, use "NBD" in
> parenthesis to introduce the acronym.

Sounds sensible. I'll transform them to "network block device (NBD)"
just once, the first time the acronym is introduced, and stick to "NBD"
afterwards. Reading over the templates now, it does seem a bit awkward.

> Template: partman-nbd/mainmenu
> Type: select
> Choices-C: connect, disconnect, finish
> Choices: ${CHOICES}
>
> That means that "connect", "disconnect" and "finish" will never get
> translated. That's infortunate....

That doesn't matter. These are replaced at runtime with full sentences;
the ones that are in partman-nbd/menu/*

It's just that I don't want to have to deal with having to update code
because someone thought some particular sentence would look better.

>  There are currently ${NBD_DEVICES} connected.
>
> What is suposed to go in the variable?

A number. I managed to confuse myself here with the bad choice of
configuration variable ;-)

> Template: partman-nbd/server
> Type: string
>  Please enter the name or the IP address of the system running
>  nbd-server.
>
> s/name/host name, maybe

Done

> Template: partman-nbd/port
> Type: string
>  Please enter the port on which the nbd-server is running.
>
> Maybe "Please enter the port nbd-server is listening to on ${SERVER}."

Eh, this template will be shown right after partman-nbd/server is shown.
Are you sure that's necessary?

> Template: partman-nbd/device
> Type: select
> Choices: ${CHOICES}
>  Please select the NBD device node that you wish to connect or
>  disconnect.
>
> Template: partman-nbd/error/noserver
> Type: error
>  Connecting to the nbd-server failed. Please ensure that the host and
>  the port which you entered are correct, that the nbd-server process is
>  running on the host and the port you indicated, and that your network
>  is configured correctly, and try again.
>
> The short description should not end with a dot and preferrably not be
>  a sentence.
>
> Proposal:

>  Connecting to the nbd-server failed. Please ensure that the host and
>  the port which you entered are correct, that the nbd-server process is
>  running on that host, that the network is configured correctly, and retry.

Sounds much better. Done.

> Template: partman-nbd/error/nodev
> Type: error
>  There are no Network Block Device nodes left. This is either because
>  you've used them all, or because something went wrong with the
>  detection of the device nodes. Either way, you cannot currently
>  configure any more network block devices before you first disconnect
>  one.
>
> That one could be shortened, probably

>  Either all available network block devices are in use or
>  something went wrong with the detection of the device nodes.
>  .
>  No more network block devices can be configured until a configured
>  one is disconnected.

Right.

Turned that into "NBD" rather than the long version, though.

> Template: partman-nbd/error/noconnected
> Type: error
>  There are currently no Network Block Device nodes connected to any
>  server. As such, you can't disconnect any of them.
>
> To avoid a sentence as title, I suggest:

>  No Network Block Devices are currently connected and therefore none
>  can be disconnected.
>
> (that one, I'm not entirely sure of)

I'll leave that for the time being.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22