Re: r48410 - trunk/installer/build/boot/x86

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 02:13, Joey Hess wrote:
> I suspect that a lot of users are going to hate this.

Maybe. I suggest we wait and see a bit.

> Also, unlike the expert boot turning it back on, even choosing to boot
> in recovery mode in grub won't avoid the quiet mode.

I agree that this is a concern.

After looking at menu.lst, I see that for grub this could be fixed by only
setting the quiet option in "# defoptions=" and not in "# altoptions=".
This would mean special casing it in grub-installer and maybe ignoring it
in lilo-installer.

> IMHO we shouldn't do this until we have a graphical boot screen
> integrated with the desktop task, at that point we could do it for
> *only* the desktop task.

I do not really see why. I personally find the quiet boot very comfortable
even without a graphical boot screen. It makes real errors stand out a
lot more. For the installed system, "quiet" is a lot less "quiet" than it
is for the D-I boot.