S/390 and persistent device naming (was: s390 update - partman requirements)

On Monday 08 May 2006 09:16, Bastian Blank wrote:
> I fixed the hardware configuration for s390 yesterday. It works
> flawless now except that it needs some further indicators that it did
> something.

Great.

> Now it is time to switch to partman as partconf is completely out of
> order.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to use partman for S/390 too.

> This leads to a list of requirements in partman:
> - Default disk label per disk type. DASD needs ibm disklabels,
>   fiberchannel disks needs something else, mostly used is msdos.

This is set in default_disk_label in definitions.sh in partman-base.
Sounds like it may need a bit more complex detection than used for other
arches.

> - Support for non-default SCSI. It displays any different SCSI types as
>   "SCSI... (...)" which is only appropriate for plain old SCSI but not
>   for new types like libata, fiberchannel or iSCSI.

No idea.

> - Templates for dasd.

Probably the simplest item on the list :-)

> - Needs to use persistent device names. Is there some progress already
>   or must I do that myself? s390 requires either /dev/disk/by-path
>   (usable both for booting and in fstab) or /dev/disk/by-{id,uuid}
>   (only appropritate in fstab).

I'll come back to that in a separate mail.

> - Must save exact informations about the root device or any device
>   which is needed for them if it is LVM/MD. s390 don't have device
>   autoconfiguration and therefor must know, which device it needs to be
>   configured to get the root.

No idea about this.