Re: selfmade debian-cd is unable to mount root fs on "unknown-block (1,0)"

First off, even though the name of this list is debian-boot, it is not
about solving boot problems, but rather about developing Debian's
installer. You may get more help if you ask on debian-user.

I'll assume that with "unable to mount root" you're talking about the
reboot after the installation.

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 17:13, Sven Schumacher wrote:
> The Highpoint-driver is patched into kernel, and not compiled as
> module, like all other needed drivers. Because of no extra-modules
> needed for boot theres no initrd... that shouldn't be a problem because
> I modified /usr/share/debian-cd/tools/boot/etch/boot-amd64 to modify
> isolinux.cfg so initrd-append-parameter is excluded. But when the
> machine boots its always unable to mount root fs on "unknown-block
> (1,0)"

Well, something seems to be missing. The only thing that can tell you what
is looking very closely at the boot messages: is the driver actually
loaded, are the partitions recognized? What do you use for /dev: static
or udev or something? Is udev active?

We can only offer very limited support for custom installation images. You
don't say what version of the installer you based your image on (Sarge,
Etch or daily). If it is Etch or daily, your best bet is probably using
the rescue mode of the installer, enter a chroot for your root filesystem
and try to find what the problem is.

> Even when I do have initrd-support (but no modules) make-kpkg --initrd
> kernel-image doesn't seem to create an initrd for use.

You are aware of the do_initrd option in /etc/kernel-img.conf?

Having an initrd may make things easier for you as it also offers some
debugging options (shells you can escape to).

I think this is all the help I'll be able to give you.

Good luck,
FJP