Re: some remarks on gtk-debian-installer (i386)

Hi Emmanuel,

On Thursday 13 April 2006 00:27, Emmanuel Galatoulas wrote:
> I gave gtk-installer for i386 some tries and I think it is really great
> for an "alpha" stage software. I would just like to report a few remarks
> (which I was not quite sure whether could be filed as "bugs"). Here it
> goes:

All the problems you report are not specific to the graphical version of
the installer: the graphical installer is nothing more that a different
interface to the regular components of the installer.

> 1) In the first place after reaching the stage of "selecting software"
> (appearing as "participating in the "popularity-contest" step) I chose
> to install Desktop and some other packages and I realised that their
> number was too large to wait to be downloaded. So I thought I could
> cancel and return to the main menu, proceeding to the next step (I think
> the bootloader installation). But then I found out that there was no
> "Back" option at that stage, contrary to what happens for all the steps
> that I have taken until then.

Why would you want to cancel from this screen? If you do not want to
download all the software, you can just unselect the tasks that are too
big and only install those. In your case probably unselect the Desktop
task and just install the Standard task.

> I tried and managed to stop the process of downloading manually from the
> console (tty2) but then the bootloader (GRUB) refused to install
> correctly! Eventually  I rebooted the system in order to repeat the
> installation.

These two things have noting to do with eachother.

> 2) So i booted again and i thought "why not using the existing
> partitions?" to save some time!
> And going a step further, i thought why not using the existing data in
> those partitions, so that I could save even more time! But then I
> noticed that the installation of the bootloader was hanging again.

IIRC partman does not allow you (or at least warns you) if you do not
format the root partition. Keeping data is really only intended for
partitions like /home and /srv.

Again, these issues have nothing to do with your bootloader problems.

> 3). I have to add that I was running the installer using the Greek
> locale, so I noticed that after making the tasksel package selection
> stop (from the shell) I was getting back to the main menu only that now
> it was the default english one!

I don't think that is a very important problem as you're not really
supposed to kill processes manually.

Cheers,
FJP