some remarks on gtk-debian-installer (i386)

Hi all

I gave gtk-installer for i386 some tries and I think it is really great for an "alpha"
stage software. I would just like to report a few remarks (which I was not
quite sure whether could be filed as "bugs"). Here it goes:

1) In the first place after reaching the stage of "selecting software" (appearing as "participating in the "popularity-contest" step) I chose to install Desktop and some other packages and I realised that their number was too large to wait to be downloaded. So I thought I could cancel and return to the main menu, proceeding to the next step (I think the bootloader installation). But then I found out that there was no "Back" option at that stage, contrary to what happens for all the steps that I have taken until then. I tried and managed to stop the process of downloading manually from the console (tty2) but then the bootloader (GRUB) refused to install correctly! Eventually I rebooted the system in order to
repeat the installation.

2) So i booted again and i thought "why not using the existing partitions?" to save some time! And going a step further, i thought why not using the existing data in those partitions, so that I could save even more time! But then I noticed that the installation of the bootloader was hanging again.

In fact this is a behavior that I have encountered with debian-installer ever since, Namely if I am reusing existing data on existing partitions the installation simply does not go through. I thought that the problem may had been resolved somehow. To be honest, I am not sure how much of a problem is this, ie If it is a "bug" or a "feature" of the installer (I can understand that reusing say data in /var/lib/dpkg could be the source of potential conflicts and so on). But then the question is "why is the option of keeping
the existing data be explicitly offered in the first place"?

3). I have to add that I was running the installer using the Greek locale, so I noticed that after making the tasksel package selection stop (from the shell) I was getting back to the main menu only that now it was the default english one!

So basically these are my points. Apart from that, the gtk-debian-installer is really amazing piece of software. People who have seen it really love it. I suppose that in the process of time and as we are getting closer to final release these issues will have been resolved!

keep up the excellent job!

emmanuel galatoulas