Re: [g-i] Re: TTF font for Georgian

On Saturday 11 March 2006 19:15, Davide Viti wrote:
> I would push for having the udebs without stripping.
> We can then play with those eventually turning them into tarballs
> and once we've found the right combination of font files / ranges we
> can file bugs asking to perform some stripping.

You don't need udebs for that: you can do it straight from the regular
debs.

> I expanded the spellchecker as to compute the list of codepoints needed
> by every language (see [1], "codepoints" column); from what I've seen
> in the few days it's been running, the list of codepoints is quite
> stable.

Hmm. It would very much surprise me if that wasn't the case. After all
we've been effectively in a string freeze for the release with only some
changes for partman-crypto happening.
In general d-i is now mature enough that you get only very few string
changes, so the only new glyphs would come from new translations or from
occasional string changes.

> My idea for finding out a "safe" list of codepoints is to use a list
> collected over a long period of time; it can be done using the
> following:
>
> cp collected_list collected_list.tmp
> cat daily_list collected_list.tmp | sort | unique > collected_list

Because of what I've outlined above, that has limited value. The only
thing you would need to watch out for really is the occasional new glyph.

> and use collected_list as a reference for stripping the font file; I
> expect an overhead smaller let's say than 5% if compared to the daily
> list of codepoints. Let me know if I was clear enough and if you think
> it does make sense.

I'm still not convinced that stripping further than overlapping ranges and
making sure that only ranges needed for the script that a font is
supposed to support makes sense. This is where the big savings against
the current font use are.
That means we can just use the ranges listed in [1] for stripping:
Identify/decide which font we want to cover which scripts/languages;
identify the gpyph ranges needed for that; strip the fonts accordingly.
The codepoints collected in the spellchecking scripts can be used to check
we're not missing anything.

Let's start basic but solid and refine later...

[1] http://rudhar.com/lingtics/uniclnks.htm