Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

On 2/9/06, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> Sure. The only problem is that you conclude that the overlap must be with
> FreeSans, while I say it is probably not FreeSans as that is already

I never did say that, nor have concluded that. I said that the d-i
environment is impredictable (and as a proof, freefont is always
expected to be present) and that fc-cache :lang=xx does not provide
reliable information (I don't remember to have seen anything but Gargi
at a time when people said that "it seems a freefont problem" when hi
didn't render correctly).

> So, if you spot overlap, you should really also make the effort
> to find out where exactly it comes from.
> And so far you've failed to do so.

ACK. Never tried that, it seemed less effective than putting _in_ the
ranges that we need instead of hunting the ones which we don't.

> Blindly stripping fonts is not the right way to go about this.

Why not? I know which font should provide which glyphs and I don't
want anything else. It seems that the approach we are taking right now
is backward. Look on the inventory provided by Davide; do we need the
space in  all fonts? do we need exclamation mark in every font? I
don't think so.

> I'd first
> like to see a full inventory which fonts include which font ranges.

Why waste time to do an analisys which proves useless if I can choose
which font should provide which ranges? I never chose that some font
should _not_ provide range X!

I never understood why everybody kept on going about excluding what we
don't need when we know what we _do_ need and we should not care about
anything else (be ignorant, is more effective ;-).

The approach you are suggesting is backwards and I feel you are wasting effort.

> The tools Davide found yesterday will help with that.

I agree, but I don't agree with the approach to the problem.

BTW, currently on my machine @ home the stripping fonts is going on
for all languages and I estimate that the space gained is important.

Note: It is really interesting how many fonts are broken - or at least
fontforge reports them as broken.

--
Regards,
EddyP