Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

On 2/8/06, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 07:52, you wrote:
> > (almost ?) all indic scripts are affected by this, AFAICT. hi, pa, bn
> > would have to be treated separately, like we did for ja, zh_*, ko...
>
> What exactly do you mean by "treat separately"?

I mean we need to strip freefont of the glyphs needed by these
languages or to force another font when that language is selected (but
I am certain that after making sure that a set of glyphs is provided
only by a font - except unified glyphs - we will not have this problem
anymore ;-)

> > This happens because we hardcoded that the default font is freefont.
>
> Yes. But you are not taking into account the Freefont _is already
> stripped_. So there _should_ be no overlap from Freefont to Indic fonts.
>
> If there is an overlap, either the stripping of Freefont was not done
> correctly, or some other font that is "higher" in the fontconfig list
> also provides characters from Indic scripts.

It seems to me that we are talking about too many "if"-s. I know for a
fact that we had overlaps for the image you build in Spain (with vt2
fix) as indic scripts were reported to look messy in the initial
screenshots [1].

> What I'm asking for is someone to research that. Knowing which glyphs have
> problems would help with that.
>
> Only if there is an overlap _between_ fonts used for Indic scripts, will
> we absolutely need to change the default font when a language is
> selected.

That's why I am trying to make sure that overlapping does not happen
outside the cases where it should (han unification).

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/unstable-060121/

--
Regards,
EddyP