Re: Can apt-get do an "apt-get update"? Broken installs

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 05:57, Joey Hess wrote:
> I have no idea what the cause of this problem that (only you,
> apparently) are having, but it doesn't seem to be related to this.

I ran into exactly the same problem when I first installed my EM64T box.
It had an unset hardware clock (set to 1-1-197x) and that screwed up
signature verification during pkgsel.
I remember setting the clock correctly in the chroot; not sure if I ran an
apt-get update too. Anyway, in the end I was able to continue.

Anyway, my guess is that the unset hwclock that Martin mentioned in his
mail is the root cause here.

A quick test in vmware with the clock in BIOS set to 1-1-1981 reproduces
the error and thus seems to confirm this.
The only difference may be that in this test extra packages (apt-install
run) install correctly. It's only at pkgsel that things fail.
After only changing the clock pkgsel still fails; running apt-get update
in the chroot allows to continue.