Can apt-get do an "apt-get update"? Broken installs

I just did an installation on ARM and while the base installation
worked fine I got errors during the installation of additional
software.  I have a fix, but I don't quite understand the problem.
FWIW, the clock on this system says Jan 1 1970, but I'm not sure this
is related.

What I get is:

Jan  1 01:35:26 in-target: The following NEW packages will be installed:
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target:   popularity-contest
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target: 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target: Need to get 55.1kB of archives.
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target: After unpacking 233kB of additional disk space will be used.
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target: WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target:   popularity-contest
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target: E:
Jan  1 01:35:27 in-target: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes

And then the same when tasksel is run.

Now, what I found out is that a simply "apt-get update" run before
tasksel is started will solve this issue.  I chrooted in the /target,
tried 'apt-get install popularity-contest' and it failed.  I did
'apt-get update' and then installed popcon again and it worked.
'apt-get update' showed this:

sh-3.1# apt-get update
Get:1 http://debian.hands.com etch Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://debian.hands.com etch Release
Get:2 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
Hit http://debian.hands.com etch/main Packages
Hit http://debian.hands.com etch/main Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources
Fetched 378B in 2s (182B/s)

I see that apt-setup-verify does an 'apt-get' update to verify a source
is correct, but it only writes it to a tmp file.  Is there any reason
it's not updated in /target?  That would solve my problem.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/