Re: [pkgsel] Add xresprobe, discover and laptop detect for hw detection

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:02:43PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:55:49AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The description also says it only works on i386 (including AMD64 I
> > presume) and ppc.
>
> Well, the ppc uses the OF device-tree, and if this doesn't work falls back to
> parsing the /sys fbdev tree. This would work for all arches, but only for
> those fbdev drivers supporting it. I know of radeonfb only right now, haven't
> looked in a while. Also, it obviously only works in fbdev mode. Not sure about
> vesafb, and if it provides the DDC information.
>
> This could (and should if i remember the discussions of the fbdev authors
> right) be fixed in the corresponding fbdev drivers.

Yes, but you don't want to depend on accelerated framebuffer drivers,
particularly if you want to use accelerated X.  In addition, most of the
X drivers are unmaintained, let alone the framebuffers.  Let's not walk
that path.

> > It thus has a limited (though growing) application and other types of
> > systems will also need to be supported (probably using current manual
> > resolution/frequency selection methods).
>
> Sure, the ideal would be for xresprobe to either work and give the right data,
> for aall heads if posssible, or fail and inform the caller of the fail so the
> caller can do the right thing.

So what do you do on a laptop where you can't get any EDID for the
external head?  What do you do in the case where you have two cards
(let's say, one integrated and a discrete one that you actually use),
where only one is connected?  And so on, and so forth.  I think it's
better to get something up usefully than to insist on this ridiculous
ideal of 'we must find out all information for every display', or
nothing.