Re: [pkgsel] Add xresprobe, discover and laptop detect for hw detection

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 12:25:47PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> > I fail to understand your point.  If a monitor isn't a laptop panel or
> > some other display which has information in the BIOS tables, and
> > doesn't do DDC ... what would you like xresprobe to do?
>
> Only that the above quote from Sven could be read as "will investigate
> _any_ connected monitor and return perfect configuration", which is not
> the case.

Oh, well, sorry for being less than perfect in my above claim, but hey, i
think it is evident that the tool will only probe if the probe is possible,
and i didn't think it needed to be insisted on so heavily.

> I don't want xresprobe to do anything more, I see it probably cannot. I
> just wanted to avoid misinterpretation by people casually reading the
> thread, mainly on the d-boot list.

Ok.

> > So, there's a potential *huge* net gain.  And no net loss.
>
> Full ack in the context of X configuration.
> But, in the context of potential use of xresprobe for autodetection when
> booting the (graphical) installer (as Sven hinted at), non DCC compliant
> hardware also needs to be supported.

Right now we mostly only support radeonfb and vesfb anyway, so there is a huge
amount of work to be done there.

If the hardware is not able to probe correctly through DDC, i believe the
right place to handle this is in the documentation, and the user should pass
the right info to the installer, info which could then be parsed from the
command line, and passed over to the installed system maybe ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther