Re: Progress bar cancellation

Otavio Salvador wrote:
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> writes:

On Friday 13 January 2006 23:05, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

-Hiding "progress" and "back" buttons and turning "next" into "Cancel"
when the progressbar runs, to revert buttons back to their original
state later, when a question is displayed by gtk_go()

I think not displaying the buttons at all is probably the cleanest solution: they have no function, so why display them?

Looks sane to me too.

I still feel the progress bar should eventually become a separate modal window that is shown on top of the main screen. If that is realized the normal buttons could possibly remain on the main window while the window holding the progress bar gets only the cancel button.

Yeah that would make g-i more easy for new users since it'll be clear
that he need to wait that step to finish...

Today i've tried to implement the cancel button for the progressbar in the GTK frontend: as GTK is an event driven toolkit (differently from the NEWT toolkit) some thinking is needed on how to manage user's input and calls from cdebconf clients. Some form of threading to asynchronously handle user's input is probably needed in the GTK frontend: i remember past efforts in threading the GTK frontend by sebastian ley, i'll have at those old pieces of code.

ciao

Attilio