[g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Hi,
after asking around IRC and doing a few experiments, I'd like
to discuss about fonts for the g-i.
As described in [1], we mainly need to

* fix some issues (i.e #341229 for Arabic)
* do the best selection for every language
* reduce the size of fonts

I did some experiments with Arabic fonts after we discussed [2]: I
used fontforge ([3]) to remove "by hand" arabic glyps from
FreeSerif.ttf, and tried the mini.iso: the installer picked some better
fonts for Arabic text (and size was about 20kb smaller) So my idea was
to use the scripting language of fontforge to strip the unneeded glyphs
from fonts files at build time; something like mklibs (mkfonts?)
My rough idea was , for each language, to have an entry containing something
like:

language:font_file:unicode_ranges

i.e:
ar:ae_Tholoth.ttf:range

While reporting this on debian-boot, Kenshi Muto told me about a
tool [4] he's developing along with Hideaki Iwai which goal is the
same; I took a look and apparently granularity is even more accurate:
it selects the needed chars by exploring po files.

I discussed about all of this both on #arabeyes and on #latex (which
is apparently the land of fonts gurus) and I got some unicode ranges
and preferred fonts:

Arabic could eventually use  alMohanad.ttf whose ranges would be:
0621 -> 0652  <=>   1569 ->  1618
fd3e -> fd3f  <=>  64830 -> 64831
fdf2          <=>  65010
fe80 -> fefc  <=>  65152 -> 65276

Persian language should use Nazli fonts which are already packaged in
ttf-farsiweb

I'd like to know if collecting font names / unicode ranges does make sense;
if it does please let us know your favourites.

regards
Davide

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerGUIToDo
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/11/msg01361.html