Re: etch graphical installer does not work on G5 PowerMac?

Sven Luther wrote:
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:12:21AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 08:05 -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

Yes, it is an Nvidia GeForce card, unfortunately that is what Apple
sells with these machines. I'll swap it when I can but for now I'm
stuck with it.

So, I tried the daily build. It boots fine, but the installer (more
likely the fb itself) does not do anything useful with the nvidia
card. It just flashes (white) the screen (black background) every few
seconds. I can switch to a vt and use the shell, but the screen
continues the flash at the same rate.

nvidiafb  on recent kernels should work fine, as should the X "nv"
driver...

Well, this is 2.6.14, is this recent enough ? And the problem is not so much
plain fbdev, but the directfb and gtk-directfb layers over it.

Yes, that's true: i had some troubles running DFB apps with DFB 0.9.22/24/CVS with kernel 2.6.14 on my i8x0 laptop and the cause has still to be discovered..

Could you try passing the directfb noaccel option ? not sure exactly how, but
Attilio could help you there. This is similar of what happens with atyfb and
rage 128 chips. Right now we only had success on the x86 vesafb and radeonfb.

this worked with wolfram's G3 powermac with ATI video card

-At boot prompt type

install video=ofonly DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt

this should bootup a fb driver that works on Wolfram's ppc; i'm no ppc expert at all but i know other fb drivers for ppc exists, maybe Sven can give further details about this.

-The debian installer will boot with NEWT frontend: switch to VT2 nd type

echo 'no-hardware' >>/etc/directfbrc
echo 'screenshot-dir=/' >>/etc/directfbrc
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=gtk
debian-installer

if everything goes as expected the graphical installer should start using DFB's unaccelerated video driver.
Now you could be able to use the "Stamp" key to take nice screenshots.. :)

Since i'm not subscribed to debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org could someone forward this mail there too since may be useful for other users too?

thanks

Attilio