Re: etch graphical installer does not work on G5 PowerMac?

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:12:21AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 08:05 -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>
> > Yes, it is an Nvidia GeForce card, unfortunately that is what Apple
> > sells with these machines. I'll swap it when I can but for now I'm
> > stuck with it.
> >
> > So, I tried the daily build. It boots fine, but the installer (more
> > likely the fb itself) does not do anything useful with the nvidia
> > card. It just flashes (white) the screen (black background) every few
> > seconds. I can switch to a vt and use the shell, but the screen
> > continues the flash at the same rate.
>
> nvidiafb  on recent kernels should work fine, as should the X "nv"
> driver...

Well, this is 2.6.14, is this recent enough ? And the problem is not so much
plain fbdev, but the directfb and gtk-directfb layers over it.

Could you try passing the directfb noaccel option ? not sure exactly how, but
Attilio could help you there. This is similar of what happens with atyfb and
rage 128 chips. Right now we only had success on the x86 vesafb and radeonfb.

Friendly,

Sven Luther