Re: I2O detection problem for 2.6 kernels

On Thursday 24 November 2005 11:04, David Goodenough wrote:
> Having loaded i2o_block the installer now detects the disks (there are
> two logical disks, one is a raid set and the other is an individual
> disk - I get the same symptom on both).  Partitioning seems to work,
> and
> /proc/partitions correctly reports the results.  Formatting as EXT3
> seems to go through without error (and I have repeated it with the
> command line and get the same problem) but the root partition will not
> mount.  Is there some 64 bit problem with partition recognition?
>
> One final problem on this machine.  It has a BCM5704 NIC, which is
> supported by the tg3 driver.  If I configure it manually it works, if I
> let DHCP try to configure it it fails completely.

I'm afraid we cannot be of much help on this list as your problems sound
very much like hardware specific, probably kernel related, problems and
not installer problems. Otherwise we would have seen similar issues on
other systems.

I suggest you ask on the debian-amd64 list or maybe on the debian-kernel
list, although I doubt very much they will be able to help you unless you
can get some more detailed information.

You can copy log files off the system during installation by backing up to
the main menu and using the "Save logs" option.

You should also probably try doing things manually from VT2 to see if that
provides more information on what's going wrong.

It sounds like you've been using the installer for Sarge. The only thing I
can suggest is to try the beta1 installer for Etch [1] which has a more
recent kernel (2.6.12). There should also be an installer based on 2.6.14
available fairly soon (also from [1]).

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer