I2O detection problem for 2.6 kernels

I am trying to install an AMD-64 system with Debian, and it has its disks on
an I2O (Adaptec was DPT) adapter.  For the 2.4 kernels the right module to
load was the dpt_i2o module, but for 2.6 kernels this has been replaced with
a more generic module i2o_block.  dpt_i2o still exists but is not available
it would appear on 64 bit architectures.  So there would appear to be a need
to change the discovery process to load the i2o_block module for 2.6 kernels
rather than the dpt_i2o module.  I am no expert on these modules but from
what I have read and from the source it would appear that the i2o_block module
can be used everywhere that the dpt_i2o module was used and also supports
some additional chipsets as the I2O protocol is generic rather as the USB
storage driver is generic.

Submitting a bug is difficult as I can not report the problem from the machine
that exhibits the problem as I can not get it to install yet.

There is then a further problem in that for some reason I can not get the
formatting of the partition to stick.

I am using the latest Etch installer in its AMD-64 incarnation, and I have
also tried an earlier version that someone had rebuilt using 2.6.12.

Having loaded i2o_block the installer now detects the disks (there are two
logical disks, one is a raid set and the other is an individual disk - I get
the same symptom on both).  Partitioning seems to work, and
/proc/partitions correctly reports the results.  Formatting as EXT3 seems
to go through without error (and I have repeated it with the command line
and get the same problem) but the root partition will not mount.  Is there
some 64 bit problem with partition recognition?

One final problem on this machine.  It has a BCM5704 NIC, which is
supported by the tg3 driver.  If I configure it manually it works, if I
let DHCP try to configure it it fails completely.

Any help greatfully received

David