Re: ancient ieee80211/ipw2200 drivers in recent kernel (2.6.14)

On Friday 04 November 2005 11:49, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, i think the way the kernel .udebs should change, and have
> repeated that often enough, but really didn't include any such claim

Yes, exactly my point.

> here. Also notice that joeyh's reply was much more reasoned and open
> than any of your "let's bash sven" kind of replies, so where is the
> problem ?

[...]

> Bah, if you want to hide yourself from reality, my other post was only
> to know when would be a good time for *me* to look at the issue and not

So why did you not write that? That was absolutely not clear from the
first mail I replied to. Do you expect people to read your intentions
between the lines or something?
It would have been so much more effective if you had started a new thread
saying "this issue is still open; I plan to work on this after the beta
is released, here is an outline of what I plan to do". You would _never_
have gotten the negative replies from me if you'd done that.

> be disruptive, as i certainly don't enjoy doing work which is then
> reverted without notice with disdainful coments, or writing pacthes
> which smolder in the BTS for years until they are obsoleted.

Which is only likely to happen if a solution is implemented that ignores
issues that were raised in the past.

> I discussed this selfsame issue
> with joeyh in helsinki, and he told me it would be no major problem to
> do so, and be quick and easy, which is why i proposed to do this
> post-beta1 when 2.6.14 will be the d-i kernel. What could be wrong with
> that ? Especially as wrong as to get me your constant bashing. I really
> don't get this.

Nothing at all. Just that I do remember there were issues and I've never
seen a proposal that deals deals with them. If you've discussed this in
private with Joey in Helsinki, you can't blame me for not knowing about
that, can you?

I would be very interested in seeing a proposal that does deal with the
issues that were raised in the past. Hope to see this proposal posted to
the list soon so we can comment.