Re: ancient ieee80211/ipw2200 drivers in recent kernel (2.6.14)

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 12:21:29PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 11:49, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I discussed this selfsame issue
> > with joeyh in helsinki, and he told me it would be no major problem to
> > do so, and be quick and easy, which is why i proposed to do this
> > post-beta1 when 2.6.14 will be the d-i kernel. What could be wrong with
> > that ? Especially as wrong as to get me your constant bashing. I really
> > don't get this.
>
> Nothing at all. Just that I do remember there were issues and I've never
> seen a proposal that deals deals with them. If you've discussed this in
> private with Joey in Helsinki, you can't blame me for not knowing about
> that, can you?

The proposal was only to do automated builds when new kernel packages are
there, to avoid the disparate uploads for different arches, since .udbe builds
are nothing but repackaging, there is nothing arch-dep in there, or could be
removed as needed. I think Colin already builds them all together on the same
box, since he mentioned it was not needed to have the kernels installed in the
past.

The issues where with building all the .udebs from all the arches from the
same package, or including them in the upstream kernel source package, or
doing one .udeb per module.

What i am proposing here is only the minimal semi-automated rebuild of all the
kernel .udeb packages by the same person, so nothing ground breaking, but
avoiding the need of 12 different person to get involved.

> I would be very interested in seeing a proposal that does deal with the
> issues that were raised in the past. Hope to see this proposal posted to
> the list soon so we can comment.

Yep, a recapitulation of all the older posted issues on some wiki page would
be a good first step, i think.

Friendly,

Sven Luther