Re: Cannot preseed a locked password

Quoting Paul Millar (paul@astro.gla.ac.uk):

> On the off-chance that there was two files "value" and "set", I tried
> preseeding with crypt password set to \\\*, but this didn't fix the
> problem :^/

Well, "value set" is the traditionnal value of $RET after setting a
debconf value....

I spotted two errors in passwd.config:

- $RET not quoted properly in one line. This is probably the cause of
  your problem

-when setting the user password crypted, the preseeded value was not
 put in the right place so preseeding MD5 hashes probably didn't work
for the user password

Both will be fixed in a future version of shadow.

You can try the first fix by changing line 161 in
/target/var/lib/dpkg/info/passwd.config at the end of first stage and
put quotes around $RET there:

			    ROOT_PW="$RET"