Re: Custom SPARC netboot image

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 09:10:12PM -0400, Andy Goth wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:14:49PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Notice that there are 2.6.12 backports for sarge, including already
> > build powerpc and x86 packages,
>
> Good, although I'm comfortable building my own.  (But on the other hand,
> all my kernel-building experience is with x86, so maybe I'm not...)

well, this is a common package, so you just need to dpkg-buildpackage
-rfakeroot -us -uc -B on a sparc box or something such.

> > while 2.6.11 will be gone forever, the sooner the better.
>
> What was wrong with 2.6.11?

superceded by 2.6.12, not-really-maintained since a while, problems with
gcc-4.0 and it predates the much superior common kernel packaging
infrastructure. There hasn't been a security update for a while too.

> > You can probably easier install sarge with the etch/sid installer, you
> > probably just need to build those backported packages, and somehow add
> > them to your local archive or something, and there are chance that
> > this may work. No promise though, it may need some manual tweaking or
> > something.
>
> How do I tell the Etch installer to install something other than Etch?

You install with priority medium (expert mode) and it will ask you about the
suite to install. or you can preseed the suite, maybe even pass it as arg on
the kernel line, not sure.

> > The third possibility is to install sid/etch in your future swap
> > partition, and then debootstrap sarge on the normal system and then go
> > from there.
>
> How much space do I need to install an Etch capable of running
> debootstrap?

Just the base system, i used to do install on my 512MB swap, so i guess you
want at least 1MB swap, which will work just fine.

> For reference, each of the machines has 1024 MiB RAM and 120 GiB disk.

Plenty of space.

Friendly,

Sven Luther