Re: Custom SPARC netboot image

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:44:42AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:40:28AM -0400, Andy Goth wrote:
> > How do I create a custom SPARC netboot d-i image?
> >
> > Specifically, I need to update the kernel used in the Sarge d-i.
> > 2.6.8-2 doesn't work; it fails immediately, unable to detect the
> > timer chip.  2.6.11-1 is alright.
>
> What about updating the sid d-i images to use 2.6.12 ? Or does
> 2.6.12-1 not work for you ?

2.6.12-1 will probably work too (I don't expect a regression), but my
real concern is wanting to install Sarge rather than Etch.

In all likelihood, once I leave, this system will never be maintained,
and when something breaks (e.g. behaves contrary to user expectation)
somebody will take the opportunity to delete everything and install
Solaris 8.  Frown.

I don't want that to happen just because of some new, untested "feature"
in some Etch package (maybe even something "contrib" installed later
on), and I want to avoid any stigma associated with the label "testing".
After all, there's a very real danger of the entire thing being rejected
out of hand on the grounds that it's not Solaris.  It's fairly well
known that Debian takes stability very seriously, and I want to cash in
on this.

If I can "upgrade" an already-installed Etch system to Sarge, that will
be alright too, so long as the result is as good as that produced by a
conventional Sarge install.

> Using non-official netboot images is a real pain, as the module .udebs
> are not in the archive.

Sorry, I don't know anything about udebs, aside from what I read in #6
in http://lwn.net/Articles/69448/ .

I will also need a netboot image that I can use to clone one hard disk
to another.  That means having silo, tar, and netcat or similar (I can
whip up what I need in Tcl very easily).  I suppose I can put these
tools directly in the custom d-i, along with some variant of rescue that
gives me a prompt without attempting to mount the hard disk.

I only need to do one good Sarge install, which I can then customize and
clone to the sixteen other disks, several at a time.

--
Andy Goth  +  unununium@openverse.com  +  http://ioioio.net/