Re: In preparation for 2.6.13 - initrd issues

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:56:03PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2005 03:23, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > 2. What changes need to be done to integrate a new initrd-generating
> > tool into the kernel packaging infrastracture. It might be as simple as
> > switching the postinst of kernel packages from running mkinitrd to
> > running yaird. I have no idea what issues may arise in d-i because of
> > that.
>
> The major issue for d-i with 2.6.13 is the dropped devfs support. However,
> there already is support for udev in d-i; what's currently missing is a
> udeb for hotplug. What we have was backported by Colin Watson from
> Ubuntu; for hotplug we can probably do the same.

So, I *think* it's probably possible to run udev with discover in the
meantime (until we've got Marco's coldplugging support, which will
supersede the hotplug-udeb work I did and apparently make things much
faster into the bargain); I did write the code with the intent of
allowing that.

The one remaining udev change that I know of that needs to be merged
from Ubuntu is a lilo-installer change to resolve symlinks in the output
of 'pvdisplay -c'. This needs CONFIG_FEATURE_READLINK_FOLLOW ('readlink
-f') to be enabled in busybox; I got this committed upstream ages ago,
but apparently it didn't make busybox 1.01. Bastian, perhaps you could
look at backporting this?