Re: [Debian-ppc64-devel] Successful installation in an OpenPower 720 Express

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:39:11AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:34:33AM +0200, Harald Görl wrote:
> > Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > >Also, i was told that maybe -l would be enough, or -iso-level 2.
> > >Can you try both of them ?
> >
> > Ok, tested both of them separately and --- good news --- both of them
> > are working.
>
> Cool. We still need the above yaboot fix, or not ?

yaboot should be able to remain unchanged.

> > Manpage of "mkisofs" say:
> >
> > -l: [...] Use with caution.
> >
> > -iso-level: [...] With  all  iso9660 levels from 1..3, all filenames are
> > restricted to upper case letters, numbers and the underscore (_). The
> > maximum filename length is restricted to 31 characters, the directory
> > nesting level is restricted to 8 and the maximum path length is limited
> >  to 255 characters. [...]
> >
> > I would prefer "-iso-level", but does the content of the Debian CD "fit"
> > to "-iso-level" notation?
>
> Not sure. Don't think so in any case.
>
> Anyone from debian-boot can comment on this ? Colin ? you suggested that one.

'-iso-level 2' should be just fine for the powerpc CDs. Remember, this
only affects the raw ISO9660 names which bootloaders, MS-DOS, and the
like look at; once Linux is running, we're using Joliet / Rock Ridge
extensions anyway, so the ISO9660 names don't matter.

MS-DOS can't handle '-iso-level 2' as far as I know, but, while that
might be a very slight concern for i386 CDs, it really shouldn't matter
for powerpc CDs.