Re: Cross-compiling debian-installer.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:56:28PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:

> I would like to play a bit with the cross-compilability of
> debian-installer and therefore interested in previous attempts to do
> that -- anyone tried it before?
>
> I know cross building is not supported out of the box, but probably
> there were some patches against this earlier..
> What might be the issues that I may come across?

There are two big problems:

1) Downloading udebs with apt is still fragile and probably fails on
cross builds. Crossbuilding from an arch with libc6.1 to one with
libc6 or vice versa for example should break.

The udebs Depends line are broken a lot since they depend on debs
instead of the respective udebs for libs. A patch for dpkg-shlibdeps
was written by JoeyH and submitted to dpkg. Once that gets uploaded to
sid then debhelper can get patched to generate the right depends
automaticaly. Rebuilding all udebs should fix it then.

When that is all done the get-package script can be changed to not
utilize the hosts /var/lib/dpkg/status file and work independent of
the build system.

2) mklibs and pic files

A bunch of libs are still taken from the build system. Check for
Build-Depends on the libfoo-pic. Those pic files have to be downloaded
and extracted into a tempdir instead. Dynamic libs can be taken from
the build system too. This needs changes to mklibs itself and,
obviously, code to download the debs.

There might (or not) be a problem with the kernel modules, running
depmod or so. Not sure what is actualy done there nowadays.

MfG
        Goswin