Re: Needed space for chroot installing sarge

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:31:52PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> mrvn@frosties:~% du -h --max-depth 0 /mnt/chroot/sid
>> 201M    /mnt/chroot/sid
>>
>> That is a clean sid chroot with build-essential installed. A lot of
>> space is wasted on the Packages/Sources files: 37M (I have 2 mirrors
>> so double the needed space).
>
> Well package sources can be rather big.  And the page was for stable,
> not sid.  Sid might be growing.

Just 4MB for Sources compared to the 14MB for Packages.

If the harddisk size is realy close to the limit (eg ~150MB) creating
a slimmed down Packages file with just the needed Package will save
another 13MB or so. A netinst CD for example has such a trimmed
Packages file. Just don't give it any online mirror to fetch from.

> I know I currently have an install of sarge I use on an embedded project
> I am working on and we have added a few things that are not part of a
> base install of sarge and removed just a couple of packages we didn't
> need, and our install is 176M.  Without the extra packages added I would
> think 150 might be doable, but 200 or 250 would probably be a more
> reasonable recomendation.
>
>> Given that you normaly need some place to download debs to
>> (/var/cache/apt) 150MB might be too little nowadays while
>> installing. Or just barely enough. Hey, it says at least.
>
> True the space needed during the install may be more than that.  If
> installing from cd or nfs though, you don't need space in /var for the
> packages.

I think I tried 200Mb when testing sarge and it failed due to
downloading debs and the extra cruft D-I (or base-config) normaly
includes. One can avoid most of that though.

> Len Sorensen

MfG
        Goswin