Re: partman-crypto

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:33:20PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Max Vozeler wrote:
> > 1. How do I go about submitting the code for review? Do you prefer
> > patches sent to the list, should I commit to a peoples branch, or is
> > there some other preferred mechanism?
>
> If you have an alioth account I can add you to the d-i project. I think
> the new partman module can go right to trunk really.

My account is "xam". The location will be
trunk/packages/partman/partman-crypto/, correct? I think I'll have
time to commit a first version tomorrow.

> > 4. Provides: seems to not be considered by udpkg/retriever, or perhaps
> > I'm doing something wrong: I need to install an alternative loop module
> > package that includes encryption, and which Provides: loop-modules, but
> > the original package is pulled in anyway. Any idea why this happens?
>
> Well we do support provides, but that doesn't mean it will do what you
> want when breaking a tie. :-)

Hmm, good point. :)

I've renamed the loop-AES module to loop-aes.o/ko in udebs, so it no
longer has a file conflict with the in-kernel version and the provides
becomes unnecessary.

I'm curious though: If I include the loop-aes-$KVERS package in the
initrd, would there still be a tie situation, considering that a package
which provides loop-modules is already installed? That's what I tried
initially and made me believe provides were not working.

> > 10. Once loop-aes-$KVERS module packages arrive in the archive, how
> > could the aptinstall script determine the target kernel to decide which
> > module package to install? I suppose it cannot since the kernel is
> > chosen long after partman has run. Is there some mechanism I could use
> > to apt-install the right module package at a later stage?
>
> Yes, you can hook in at either prebaseconfig time or you can add a
> base-installer hook script. Probably base-installer is the right place
> to add the hook.

That would be: partman-crypto installs a script into
/usr/lib/post-base-installer.d/ and that script determines the target
kernel from debconf base-installer/kernel/image, right?

Thanks for your input, Joey and everyone.

cheers,
Max