Re: partman-crypto

Max Vozeler wrote:
> 1. How do I go about submitting the code for review? Do you prefer
> patches sent to the list, should I commit to a peoples branch, or is
> there some other preferred mechanism?

If you have an alioth account I can add you to the d-i project. I think
the new partman module can go right to trunk really.

> 2. Some packages still require changes to build crypto d-i, which I'm
> including in the patches/ directory of the source tarball. If you want
> to (re-)build crypto d-i, these patches have to be applied and packages
> rebuilt and put into localudebs/
>
>   gnupg                  build a gnupg-udeb
>   busybox-udeb           build with uuencode
>   loop-aes-utils         build loop-aes-utils-udeb (pending)
>   loop-aes-modules-i386  build loop-aes-$KVERS-udeb packages (pending)
>   partman                include /dev/loop/$n in humandev (#320443)
>
> I'll submit wishlist patches for these packages and implement required
> changes for mine (loop-aes-*) during the next week. I wonder, are there
> any side-effects for d-i from building new udebs? Does it make sense to
> discuss details with you before uploading?

As long as the udeb is not standard or higher priority and doesn't
interfere with others by dependencies, it won't be loaded by default so
it's not generally a problem.

> 4. Provides: seems to not be considered by udpkg/retriever, or perhaps
> I'm doing something wrong: I need to install an alternative loop module
> package that includes encryption, and which Provides: loop-modules, but
> the original package is pulled in anyway. Any idea why this happens?

Well we do support provides, but that doesn't mean it will do what you
want when breaking a tie. :-)

> 10. Once loop-aes-$KVERS module packages arrive in the archive, how
> could the aptinstall script determine the target kernel to decide which
> module package to install? I suppose it cannot since the kernel is
> chosen long after partman has run. Is there some mechanism I could use
> to apt-install the right module package at a later stage?

Yes, you can hook in at either prebaseconfig time or you can add a
base-installer hook script. Probably base-installer is the right place
to add the hook.

--
see shy jo