Re: Installer branding

> Oh, I'm familiar with the positional problem; I've been buried
> waist-deep in these issues for nearly a year now. What I meant was
> really to avoid mentioning the distribution name in translated sentences
> at all, but to have it on its own in e.g. the top right-hand corner of
> the screen so that it's still obvious to somebody glancing at the screen
> what's going on. Things like "woody", "sarge", "sid" in select lists
> don't need to be translated, and so on. I guess it's just a modification
> of the first approach above.

I quote that very paragraph, but indeed, I've read the whole thread
leading here.

I think that Colin's concerns have been very well expressed and the
discussion has explored the details very well.

My opinion is to replace "Debian" everywhere by something more neutral
which wouldn't need branding (may depend on the context).

For that to be still obvious that the installer currently running is
the "Debian", "Ubuntu", "Debian-edu" or whatever installer, I think
that the idea of having the brand name always visible somewhere in the
interface (at least the dialog and graphical ones) is probably the
best thing to achieve.

I see this as "Debian installer", "Ubuntu installer", "Debian-edu
installer" at the bottom of the dialog boxes for the dialog interface,
as box title for graphical installer...and a recurrent title for the
text interface....