Re: Problems booting into Debian installer on PowerMac G5

Hello,

This is just an update after talking to someone on #debian

After the installer partitions the drives I dropped into the shell and
executed the following:

$ cd /target
$ chroot .
$ ybin -v -v

This produced a few lines of output and stated that it had blessed
/dev/sda1 with Holy Penguin Pee. Shouldn't this have read "hda"?

Using mac-fdisk to look at the partition map of /dev/sda I got the
following output:

Apple_partition_map ... Partition map
Apple_Bootstrap ... NewWorld bootblock
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 ... Linux native
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 ... Linux swap

This all looked fine, so I did the following:

$ mkdir /mnt/tmp
$ mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp

This gave the following error:

"Invalid Argument ... You must specify the filesystem type"

After some futile attempts to get this working, I tried the following:

$ mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp
$ ls -l /mnt/tmp

This was the output:

ofboot.b
yaboot
yaboot.conf

So, all looks good here too.

I rebooted and... nothing, yaboot presented me with the option screen,
but "l" still didn't work and it just hangs for a while and goes back
to the selection screen.

So, I'm thinking - perhaps an issue with the kernel?

So I tried all the above steps again twice over, each time using
apt-get to install the following kernels respectively:

vmlinux-2.6.8-power4
vmlinux-2.6.8-power4-smp

Even with the new kernel, I was still getting the same problem.

BTW, I did check /etc/yaboot.conf and in each case it was pointing to
the right kernel.

I hope this helps shed at least *some* more light on my situation.

Does anyone have an idea where this is going wrong?

Thanks,
Noah