Re: Installing a custom kernel in d-i

Scott Robinson wrote:
> I'm attempting to follow the directions in doc/custom-kernel.txt. I had
> prepared a kernel image, but didn't give it a flavour or
> append-to-version option.
>
> When I got to step 2, the creation of the kernel udebs, the
> kernel-versions file seems to require a flavour be specified.

Yes, this is perhaps a bug in the file format that it does not allow the
flavour to be omitted. (If you agree you could file a bug on the
kernel-wedge package.)

> Do I need to rebuild the kernel I already setup? The flavour option is
> noted as OBSOLETE in make-kpkg. Should I be using the append-to-version
> instead?

Yes, I think what we've been calling flavour on the d-i kernel side is
what's produced by append-to-version in make-kpkg. You want to add
"-foo" to the kernel version number and to the package name.

--
see shy jo