Installing a custom kernel in d-i

I'm attempting to follow the directions in doc/custom-kernel.txt. I had
prepared a kernel image, but didn't give it a flavour or
append-to-version option.

When I got to step 2, the creation of the kernel udebs, the
kernel-versions file seems to require a flavour be specified.

Do I need to rebuild the kernel I already setup? The flavour option is
noted as OBSOLETE in make-kpkg. Should I be using the append-to-version
instead?

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

--
http://quadhome.com/            - Personal webpage