Re: Countrychooser commited in CVS

Steve Langasek wrote:
> I believe it should be possible to eliminate the extra timezone question
> for users in most countries, but this will take some work to script
> sanely.

You're thinking about making it look at the country and boil that down
to a list of timezones inside the country, I suppose. Using zone.tab for
the mapping. Unfortunalty, some people will want GMT, and since someone
could be doing something strange, I will probably need an "other" that
falls back to the current drill down behavior.

So that's a minimum of three entries in the list (many more for US,
thank you Indiana), so debconf will still always display the question.
But we do save one question overall this way, which nicely balances out
the question added by splitting languagechooser. And I think time zone
selection this way will be much less confusing -- I can never remember
whether to choose "America" or "US" with the current system (the US's
entries are actually split between them for maximum confusion); and when
I want GMT, I often forget where it's hidden.

Well this will be a nice little project.

--
see shy jo