Re: beta 2 and beyond

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:54:08AM +0100, Thorsten Sauter wrote:
> * Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2004-01-15 04:33]:
> | I've gone ahead and started the beta 2 release process. CD images are in
> | place and I will send out the release announcement once the web site has
> | updated. (Some install media won't appear in sarge until tomorrow's
> | dinstall.)
>
> yeah!! :-)
>
> |  - XFS
> |  	Could happen a number of ways, either as an alternate boot on
> | 	the CDs, or by XFS finally being added to stock 2.4.25/6, or by
> | 	d-i getting support for 2.6. I'm sure that Steve will come up
> | 	with something.
>
> please do not use a different boot method for this. Just let us include
> it in the same way like all other filesystems. I think XFS is often used
> by people. And I really like to see it in the normal installer.
>
> |  - 2.6 kernel
> |  	For some arches at least, possibly not as the default but
> | 	available as an alternate boot on the CDs. Blocked by discover 2.
>
> is anybody working on the 2.6 kernel tree for powerpc machines? Sven?

Not yet, but it is planed. I only have so much time to devote to this
though, so be patient.

In any case, we need to check the new apple hardware and see if the
current kernel boots on it, if not we are going to need 2.6 kernels.

I will try to upload a 2.6 kernel next week or something.

In the meantime, i want us to move to 2.4.24 as default kernel for post
beta2 debian-installer.

Friendly,

Sven Luther