Re: beta 2 and beyond

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2004-01-15 04:33]:
| I've gone ahead and started the beta 2 release process. CD images are in
| place and I will send out the release announcement once the web site has
| updated. (Some install media won't appear in sarge until tomorrow's
| dinstall.)

yeah!! :-)

|  - XFS
|  	Could happen a number of ways, either as an alternate boot on
| 	the CDs, or by XFS finally being added to stock 2.4.25/6, or by
| 	d-i getting support for 2.6. I'm sure that Steve will come up
| 	with something.

please do not use a different boot method for this. Just let us include
it in the same way like all other filesystems. I think XFS is often used
by people. And I really like to see it in the normal installer.

|  - 2.6 kernel
|  	For some arches at least, possibly not as the default but
| 	available as an alternate boot on the CDs. Blocked by discover 2.

is anybody working on the 2.6 kernel tree for powerpc machines? Sven?

|  - switch to subversion
|  	It would be good to reorganise the tree, and some things are
| 	waiting on that being done. Since this has the potential to
| 	disrupt everything else during the transition, we'll have to be
| 	very cautious.

hmm. is this really needed _before_ the release?

|  - better wireless support
|  	I think that a wireless-tools udeb just went in, but a frontend
| 	to that is needed.

yes. I think this is really urgent, because most of the modern laptops
contains a wifi card, and the users dosn't by normal network equiment

|  - three more ports
|  	Bringing the total released architectures to 7 or 8. alpha,
| 	hppa, mipsel, and sparc seem like contenders.

hppa is now booting and installing for me (I have the 32MB ram problem
on this machine). Manty try to produce hppa cdrom images.

Bye
Thorsten