Kudos and nitpicking of german translation of d-i

Hi folks,

I had a look at the German translation as well.

I booted in expert mode just to see more screens, I went into menus I would
normally not use. I did not find a lot of real bugs (missing translations).

<nitpicking>
And I use these tags for questionable stuff.
</nitpicking>

Overall: The translators have done a tremendous job hitting a moving
target! Congratulations!

Cheers,
Erich

image: http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/daily/
sarge-i386-netinst-20040111.iso (20040111)
a32f7a32be8adff64514ec4e46a196e7

boot: expert

* Choose Language (de_DE)

    after selecting German/Germany
    everything goes to German translations EXCEPT first line:
    "Choose  Language" :-)

* Select a Keyboard Layout (PS/2, US_english)

  * PC Keyboard

  * then on 2nd screen (choose keyboard layout) some characters appear
    scrambled, e.g. "W_hlen Sie das Tastaturlayout"  where _ is actually 2
    characters, a 'Ã' and a Euro sign.

    however, the Umlauts in the title and Buttons of the screen are
    correct!

    <nitpicking>
    Title: Wählen Sie eine Tastaturbelegung aus
    Text:  Wählen Sie das Tastaturlayout für die PC-Tastatur aus:

    would use same term 'Tastaturbelegung' in both cases.

    The "death keys" were mentioned by someone else (Tottasten)
    </nitpicking>

* Detect and mount CD-ROM
    modprobe -v ide-disk fails, known bug, not a problem.

    before finishing this menu item:

    "Einige Module konnten nicht geladen werden"
    "Das '', das für '' benötigt wird ... "
    Seems to me that $vars were 'quoted' and now only the '' are left ...

* Load installer components (cdrom-retriever)

  Komponenten des Installers laden

  cdrom-retriever: Fetch modules from a CDROM
  floppy-retriever: Fetches modules from a floppy

  title and text are translated, but menu items are not. Could use the same
  text, though.

  Progress bar says "empfange <package>" here,  see below ...

* Main Menu

  Still "Choose language"

  last item: "Neustart des Systems" restart of system, äh, boot or restart
  the installer? not entirely clear to me from the german text (its
  reboot).

  same confusion in "Installation beenden und neustarten". What is
  restarted?

    <nitpicking>
    Installation des Bootloaders LILO auf einer Festplatte
    Installiere den GRUB Bootloader auf einer Festplatte

    same activity, different phrasing.
    </nitpicking>

    <nitpicking>
    "Basis-System" and "Grundsystem" are both used (base-system), where I
    would suggest to consistently use "Basis-System".
    </nitpicking>

* Detect network hardware (ne2k-pci)

* Configure the network (dhcp)

* Detect hardware (disks: 2 scsi, 1 ide, cdrom ide)

* Partition a hard drive

    cfdisk is talking English with me. I think this has been
    reported/discussed and possibly fixed somewhere other than this
    particular netinst image.

* Configure and mount partitions

    Title and Text ok, Menu 3 of 5 not translated:
    "Dateisystem bleibt erhalten"
    "Create ext2 file system"
    "Create ext3 file system"
    "Create reiserfs file system"
    "Erstelle Auslagerungsspeicher"

    <nitpicking>
    "Erstelle Auslagerungsspeicher" add "(swap)" IMHO
    I'm too deep into computers to know what a "Auslagerungsspeicher" is.
    Easy, it's swap. But I haven't heard this before.

    leaving the menu: "Ende"  should be "Fertigstellen" IMHO
    </nitpicking>

* Automatically partition hard drives

    how nice, it lets me out again ... *sweat*

* Install the base system

    <nitpicking>
    downloading packages:              "lade <package> herunter"
    retrieving packages (see above):   "empfange <package>"
    could be "kopiere" in both cases IMHO
    </nitpicking>

    <nitpicking>
    menu entry: "Grundsystem installieren" but
    title above progress bar "Installiere Basis-System"
    could be "Basis-System" in both cases IMHO
    </nitpicking>

* Install the kernel

- Install Lilo Bootloader

* Install Grub Bootloader
  default (hd0), not '(hd0,2)', is this supposed to be like that?

* exiting to shell.

    Hmm. I selected keyboard USamerican, and I selected Language
    German/Germany. However, if I exit to shell, the '-' key will produce
    nothing, and the '/' key will produce '-', which looks awfully like a
    german keyboard layout. That is now also for the second console ... :-(

* Finish installation and reboot

    Time to reboot and fix the keyboard layout :-)

--- smoke test .^~~~~_----  pfffft. pffft. pfft. pft. pft. pft.

* Intro message

* Configure the keyboard

    display a message of "failed to dump keyboard" type ... never seen that
    before.

    Falls into "Configure console data" screen
    Title translated, but Text isn't "The keymap describes how keys are ..."

    Next screen: "Konfiguriere console-data"
    Title: "What policy do you want to apply regarding keymaps"
    List items and buttons are translated.

    select from list: qwerty / US american / Standard

    ==> failed to dump keymap
    ==> back to main menu.

* Configure timezone

    <nitpicking>
    menu: Zeitzone Konfigurieren (s/K/k/) typo

    "Universal time coordinated" UTC, not "universal coordinated time", is
    it not?

    "Die Hardware-Uhr sagt ..."
    why not:
    "Zeit der Hardware-Uhr: $DATE"

    Region strings are translated, e.g. "Kanada"
    Cities in that Region are not, e.g. "Athens" or "Brussels"
    </nitpicking>

* Setup users and root passwd

   Title: "Password setup" not translated???
   Text: typo "in einer separaten Datein" <- trailing 'n'
         typo "von Speziellen Programmen" s/S/s/

   after root passwd:
   not translated: "It's a bad idea to use the root account ..."

   next screen
   not translated: "A user account will be created ..."

---- By the way ----------------
  where did the screen about crypt/md5sum encryption of passwd strings end
  up?  I think this is fairly important to fix.
-------------------------------

* Set the host name

    <nitpicking>
    menu: "Hostname festlegen"  Hm. "Rechnername" maybe? I know a fair
    number of Germans, who claim "host" == "mainframe". I've had
    discussions. So I suggest to use "Rechnername" instead.
    </nitpicking>

* enable and configure ppp

    Does nothing (which is ok.) but doesn't say so (which may be disturbing).

* configure apt (http, testing, ftp.de.d.o, no proxy)

* Select packages to install

    I selected "ssh" to be installed.
    3 screens of ssh debconf were english rather than german text.
      - allow ssh protocol 2 only?
      - privilege separation?
      - install ssh-keysign suid root?
    This has nothing to do with the installer, I guess.

    <nitpicking>
    "aptitude wirklich beenden?"  [Yes] [No]
    </nitpicking>

* Install selected packages

* Configure MTA

* Finish Configuring the base system